~~~The Realm of the Palace Princess~~~

About Me

Read about me ... for those of you who don't already know me!

Links

Crikey
Fisk
The Bladder
Dark Horizons
Oz Pagan
Clitical
So Shoot Me!

Blogs I Read

War Info Links
The PM's Blog
Iron Monkey
AFL Blog
*B.Weaver
Cry Like A Girl
Gawker
Home Blown
Cynical Optimist

What I'm Reading

Life On Air-David Attenborough
A Dagg At My Table-John Clarke

What I'm Listening To

John Mayer-Heavier Things
The Waifs-Up All Night
Dido-Life For Rent

Words of Wisdom

"The spirit is most often free when the body is satiated with pleasure, indeed, sometimes the stars shine more brightly seen from the gutter than from the hilltop"-
W. Somerset Maugham

Classic Songs

Split Screen Sadness...And I don't know where you went when you left me but Says here in the water you must be gone by now I can tell somehow One hand on the trigger of a telephone Wondering when the call comes Where you say it's alright You got your heart right Maybe I'll sleep inside my coat and Wait on the porch 'til you come back home Oh, right I can't find a flight We share the sadness Split screen sadness Two wrongs make it all alright tonight All you need is love is a lie cause We had love but we still said goodbye Now we're tired, battered fighters And it stings when it's nobody's fault Cause there's nothing to blame at the drop of your name It's only the air you took and the breath you left Maybe I'll sleep inside my coat and Wait on the porch 'til you come back home Oh, right I can't find a flight So I'll check the weather wherever you are Cause I wanna know if you can see the stars tonight It might be my only right We share the sadness Split screen sadness I called Because I just Need to feel you on the line Don't hang up this time And I know it was me who called it over but I still wish you'd fought me 'til your dying day Don't let me get away Cause I can't wait to figure out what's wrong with me So I can say this is the way that I used to be There's no substitute for time Or for the sadness Split screen sadness We share the sadness-John Mayer

------------------ First Cut Is The Deepest...I would have given you all of my heart But there's someone who's torn it apart And he's taken just all that I had But if you want I'll try to love again Baby, I'll try to love again but I know The first cut is the deepest Baby I know the first cut is the deepest But when it comes to being lucky he's cursed When it come to loving me he's worst I still want you by my side Just to help me dry the tears that I've cried And I'm sure going to give you a try And if you want I'll try to love again (tryyy) Baby, I'll try to love again but I know The first cut is the deepest Baby I know the first cut is the deepest But when it comes to being lucky he's cursed When it come to loving me he's worst I still want you by my side Just to help me dry the tears that I've cried But I'm sure gonna give you a try 'Cause if you want I'll try to love again (try to love again) Baby, I'll try to love again but I know The first cut is the deepest Baby I know, the first cut is the deepest When it come to being lucky he's cursed When it come to loving me he's worst The first cut is the deepest baby i know The first cut is the deepest try to love again...-Sheryl Crow

This page is powered by Blogger.

Saturday, March 15, 2003
(TRAVIS FIMMEL)
It seems my passing reference to Travis Fimmel in a blog post last month has caused an unusually high amount of traffic to be directed towards my blog, via Google. I can only assume this means his star is on the rise ... but for those of you that have arrived here looking for details about him, sorry to disappoint ... but my knowledge of Travis is limited to how fab he looks in Calvin Klein underwear and that he is apparently set to be the next Tarzan.

(2)
Materialism is often perceived to be a modern concept. We assume that our great-grandparents where a whole lot less likely to be troubled by the 'need' to surround themselves with material things ... who'd have time to sit and watch a flat screen digital TV when there were fields to be plowed, right?

Despite popular opinion, I've often thought that the excess of the eighties never actually died ... (it was just the big hair, men who wore make up and the trashy clothes that disappeared). Our desire to have it all, and have it now appears to have grown in the last 20 years, but is it actually a new concept ... have the last 2-3 generations really been the pioneers of materialism?

It would seem not.

This is going to be one of those times where I actually find myself publicly admitting I was wrong, and that all my pre-conceived ideas and thoughts were way off. (I know I know ... a rare and unusual occurrence - lap it up while u can).

While we are surrounded by a thoroughly materialistic society, (and some of u are a large part of that society) on reflection I can see that it's not new ... it's always been there, just a few things have changed over the years, such as ...what we counter-balance materialism with.

There has always been a misconception that a person of wealth is, for some reason, a more worthy member of society. That the farmer who owns the most land ... or the tribesman with the most camels (or whatever the fuck tribesman value), somehow deserves more respect, and even more authority than those with less. It has been assumed that ones acquisition of more material possessions represents ones worth as a person. And talk of ones values has always been more to do with dollars and cents than beliefs or moral standards.

This is in danger of becoming a philosophical discussion ... and that wasn't really my intention, it's just I had this blinding flash of clarity (nothing to do with a vast quantity of alcohol consumed, no) ... like, why people find it so necessary to acquire large quantities of, and display their material assets. It's not really a generational thing, it's a cultural thing.

We live in a culture (a culture that has been around for hundreds of years) that defines a person's goodness, their worth, their desirability, by their material wealth. Rarely is someone revered for their spirituality, or for their strength of character ... no, it's just the things we burden ourselves with that become the measure of our contribution to society.

But why does materialism seem worse today? Why does it appear to me, to be some new fault with society?

Despite my opinions on organised religion ... people of previous generations generally had a spiritual connection and regarded it as a fundamental aspect of life. No one can deny that our modern culture has lost touch with a sense of spirituality, maybe that's why materialism seems to overshadow society today ... maybe it's why I have only seen it as a recent problem. Maybe we don't have enough depth and meaning in our lives to balance out all the meaningless crap. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not suggesting we should all "find God" (because really, I wouldn't even know where he might have been lost) nor do I think religion will save us from the evils of materialism. But perhaps we are trying to replace that lost spirituality with material possessions ... just a thought.

And where did this train of thought spring from, how did I get to any of these mixed up ideas I hear u ask (well I don't actually hear you asking it, but I can imagine a few of u might be scratching your heads and wondering "what the fuck...." - right about now) .... well, I happened to be reading something about the Hausa people of West Africa and an ancient love potion they use to attract women. The potion consists of, among other things, dried bats. What really grabbed my attention and got me thinking though, was the proverb that accompanies the ancient potion ... "forget the bat magic, the real charm for getting a woman is money".

Now call me naive, but I always had this romantic notion that people who, so long ago, developed such love potions would be unaffected by materialistic ideals and sentiments, that such people would be unswayed by the almighty dollar and hold firm the belief that love conquers all ..... but nooooooo, was I wrong. The cynicism of said proverb may well have been a reflection on their confidence in the power of their own spell casting, but I doubt it.

It was this shattering of illusions that brought me to my current thoughts on the modernity of materialism, or rather the thought that materialism is NOT exclusive to recent times, it's just that our modern culture lacks anything which acts to lessen the impact of a society driven by the need to have 'things'.

BUT ... I have to add, it's not always a bad thing to have ones illusions shattered .... it can actually be quite a liberating feeling, as I've recently discovered.

I'm back in the bustling metropolis that is Launceston and at this stage it seems as though I will be here until Wednesday. I'm rather busy with work at the moment, so I may not get an opportunity to update my blog much over the next 2 weeks. By the end of the month I will have a clearer schedule for work and will know what part of the country I need to be in and when, so hopefully I can resume some kind of social life again

xxx
*Updated links and songs*

posted by The Princess 12:40 PM



home

Devoted to Viggo
Second Opinion.. The glow inside another red-crossed pelvis will drain when they crush that little bulb. Menstrual minstrels drift in from the weedless garden. The immaculate blue flame from the fake fireplace burns in the corner of my eye. Can't stop staring at nothing. A gloved hand opens the door, and the man enters soothingly, with an air of respect for the dead. Encourages us to look on the bright side. Black pants hide your pain afterwards, and there's a cookie on a napkin and a paper cup of red juice to replace your strength. We drive home without blinking because the sun isn't real .. . -Viggo Mortensen

Song
Lyrics

Go here if you've arrived at my blog after searching for song lyrics. All the song lyrics I've ever posted on this blog can now be found by following the link above

Contact Me
Tell me how much you like my blog. Hah!

ICQ
38211514

Mystery Site